Wednesday, August 01, 2007

World Breastfeeding Week

August 1-7 is World Breastfeeding Week. I'm no longer lactating but I'd say I'm a lactivist (of course I would never vilify or shame people who choose not to breastfeed). But I believe women should be encouraged / supported and educated about breastfeeding (it's not intuitive and it can really hurt at first). I also believe women should be allowed to breastfeed in public and everyone should just get over it! It's about feeding a hungry baby, jeez. Plus it's the healthiest form of baby food. From their site:

Initiation of breastfeeding within the 1 hour of birth is the first and most vital step towards reducing infant and under-five mortality, by reducing the overwhelmingly high neonatal mortality rate.

Also from their site, the Philippines are setting some world records apparently:

In May 2006, the Philippines, broke the Guinness World Record on Simultaneous Breastfeeding in a Single Site when they gathered 3,541 mothers with the City of Manila. This year, they created the First Guinness World Record on Simultaneous Breastfeeding in Multiple Sites when they gathered more than 20,000 mothers in more than 400 sites.

2 comments:

clara said...

Ada Calhoun weighs in with some similar thoughts and good links over at her blog... thought you might be interested, hope the link works:
http://news.aol.com/newsbloggers/2007/08/01/breastfeeding-isnt-always-best/

Anonymous said...

I'm very much enjoying your blog and would like to link to it from my own. Please contact me at maliab@menshealthnetwork.org. Thanks, Malia Blom