Conceiving a diorama is an adventure in scale and spatial relationships. Choose a container, then put yourself in the shoes of one of its future inhabitants.
Tools and Materials
- Sardine tin (well washed and dried)
- Nautical map
- Blue paper
- Toy Birds
- Cutout images (from sardine label)
- Fish cutout
- Card stock
Ocean Diorama How-To
- For background, trace bottom of well-washed sardine tin onto cardboard and a nautical map, and cut out; glue map onto cardboard, then glue inside tin.
- Cut waves from blue paper, making tabs on bottom and sides for attaching to can; glue in place. Glue on shells, twigs, toy birds, and cutout images photocopied from sardine label, and cheesecloth for a net.
- To make free-floating fish, glue fish cut out to one end of card stock strip folded at each end; glue other end to background.
- Brush glue on floor of diorama; sprinkle with sand. To hang diorama, tape rope to back.