Sunday, December 31, 2006

Films We Saw + Liked in 2006

It's amazing I even have a list, considering I haven't seen more than a handful of films in the theater this year. The list would have been very slim if Netflix wasn't in my life. I do have standards, I won't put everything on the list. I saw The Queen recently and although I enjoyed it and Helen Mirren inhabited the role admirably, the story didn't transcend TV movie status. I liked Little Miss Sunshine and Thank You for Smoking, but I couldn't put them on my list either, they were problematic and didn't stay with me.

I'm looking forward to seeing: Duck Season, Inland Empire, Half Nelson, Heart of Gold, The Painted Veil, Marie Antoinette, Iraq in Fragments, A Prairie Home Companion, An Inconvenient Truth, Jonestown... Everyone seems to be crazy about Pan's Labyrinth which looks like a high brow horror movie.

My Top 4 Films of 2006

1. The Science of Sleep
I love underdogs, the genius and beauty of this film was unappreciated by the critics and misunderstood by all, but Danny and I found it to be the most original, emotionally complex stories this year.

2. Borat
Brutal satire that hits it right on the nose and made me howl with laughter.

3. Little Children
I expected LC to be a smug / campy parable about hypocrisy and self indulgence, but it really surprised me with its sharp look at adults who are in various stages of arrested development. Each character was stuck in some corner of childhood, morally complex, no judgment, well unified.

4. Scanner Darkly
Still vivid since I saw it last summer, I was pulled in to this universe and saturated for hours after the film ended.

Other Top 10 Lists
Salon.com Best Movies of 2006 List
Metacritic.com 2006 Film Critic Top Ten Lists

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

scanner darkly?

wow. I found that movie to be a real bummer. Maybe it was because shaky camera work makes me nauseous.

I wish we would have seen Little Miss Sunshine that night.

Anonymous said...

A Scanner Darkly a film by Richard Linklater with Rotoscope technology featuring Winonna Rider, Morton Downey Junior presents a dystopic view of drug addiction, and law enforcement in a time when it is possible to not know who you are or what you are doing. For this reason I found this work of cinema to be both illuminating and edifying.

Marika said...

True, a scanner darkly was very dark and unsettling, it's a paranoid drug trip. What impressed me about ASD was that it pulled me into an alternative universe that was airtight and so well crafted that seconds into it, I forgot keanu reeves and winona ryder were playing the main characters.