Monday, August 28, 2006

Swimming, diving for keys


Sunday we all went to the pool to witness Elliot's new swimming skills. I heard rumors that Elliot could do the crawl (or a version of it) and swim the length of the illustrious condo pool (well short side to short side), I was dying to see it. He was so proud of himself. My little seal, golden brown slipping easily in and out of the water. I haven't worn a bathing suit in a year. Dad is the swimming parent. Asher clings to Dan for his dear life, shoving me aside, "no daaaadddddyyyyy."

The twice weekly individual lessons paid off. He amazingly didn't drown, he poked his head out of the water and allowed his arms and legs to propel him from wall to wall. I threw a rock in the pool and had him dive for it. He held his breath and grabbed the prize. We threw keys to the shallow end and he easily picked them up. A different kid from the one who refused to put his head in the water only a few weeks ago.

I'm hoping his success; this new confidence and faith in risk taking translates well into kindergarten readiness.

No comments: