Friday, September 15, 2006

Silver Jews Peace


Danny and I went to see the silver jews last week, our first show in 3 years. The first ever silver jews tour. I've listened to american water for 5 or 6 years now and I'm still not tired of it. I love the humor, the loose, unexpected juxtapositions in the lyrics. I was almost afraid of ruining my pathetic infatuation with mr berman; live shows are often disappointing anyway. But DB didn't appear to be a junkie, or out of control. There was no spectacle, the band wasn't sloppy. I wonder how his wife stayed with him during his addict years. Anyway, it was good to see him together and solid.

DB was funny, likeable, and the music was good. I wasn't disappointed. I wanted him to play like like the the the death, but he didn't. Of course I can't handle staying up past 12, so we left right before the show ended.

I wore my magenta silver jews peace shirt the next day. A salesman in mattress store asked me, what does that mean? silver jews peace? does he think it means elderly jews for peace? I said it's just a band. David Berman said he always regretted naming the band silver jews, it was so awkward and serious, but in the last two years he grew into the name, becoming sober and embracing judaism, he began to see the name as a blessing (peace): http://www.jewishjournal.com/home/preview.php?id=16451

No comments: