Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Anniversary. Guts + Glory. Shalom in the Home.

I've been feeling very sentimental lately, look how mushy I am posting about my wedding anniversary. My mom sent me this email and I thought it was an inspiring note to archive:
Happy Anniversary Dan and Marika!
Eight years ago you had a beautiful wedding in a beautiful setting on a sunny day in Sausalito. As we've said many times before, it was a special ceremony, a ceremony that reflected your personalities and your love for each other, and it was so much fun. And now you two have built a wonderful life together and brought me the added joy of two darling grandsons. Keep being the good partners you are through the good times and during life's difficulties. Think of all you have done as a couple -- the places you've traveled, the places you've lived, classes taken, degrees earned, jobs taken and left, loved ones lost and babies born...

Life is good!
Happy Anniversary. I love you.
Mom

Shalom in the Home
Yep, Dan and I have been married for 8 years, we've known each other for half our lives. After I consulted Danny about whether or not to take the ceramics class we were both checking out, we ran into each other outside my dorm. He was on his skateboard and stopped to chat about the class. He seemed familiar, stable, quirky and kind. Later our paths crossed at party before winter break. When I found out he was from LA, I felt an instant connection and we made plans to meet in LA during vacation. I like to think that we chose each other because we're both idealistic misfits, we have sympathetic and complementary weaknesses.

8 Years Later
Despite our individual neurotic freakiness, assorted ADD issues, and our inability to meal plan /eat well; we have a little family that's actually functional. We're coming up with healthier solutions to our daily obstacles, we're practicing shalom in the home. We laugh together, have our own family jokes and stories, we take family walks and bike rides. I think we're starting to get it. We're slow learners.

After Elliot was born, I remember sitting in the parking lot of Home Depot nursing Elli while Danny was buying paint or something, and thinking I am so happy, I'm married to a great guy and I have this sweet baby, something is going to fall from the sky and crush the car. Needless to say, that didn't happen and what hasn't killed me has made me stronger (I'm still working on it). Incorporating these other people into my life was the healthiest thing I've ever done; the best choice I've ever made. Over time, the idea of being married and having two kids has seemed less absurd. Somewhere I'm still 16, a punk depressive smoking cigarettes, but I like my adult life much better.

No comments: